GTR vs GTS4
What are the differences and similarities between the Skyline GTR and Skyline GTS4?
Models: GTR, GTS4
Website Category: Article
Sometimes called a “Baby GTR”, the Nissan Skyline GTS4 shares the same ATTESA All Wheel Drive system as the Skyline GTR, but not the same legendary engine. With that being said, lets look at some of the differences and similarities between these two Skyline models.
R32 Nissan Skyline GTR Front
R32 Nissan Skyline GTS4 Front (Sedan)
- The R32 Skyline GTS4 is powered by the RB20DET motor while the R32 Skyline GTR is powered by the RB26DETT. With the RB20DET paired to the ATTESA AWD system, this translates into a much slower car when compared to the GTR.
- The Gear ratios in the rear and front differentials of the two models are different due to the RB20DET’s lower torque numbers. The interesting thing to note here is that the shorter differential ratios out of the Skyline GTS4 (4.1 vs almost 4.4) could be a good upgrade for a Skyline GTR. The Skyline GTS4 swapped gears would give the Skyline GTR much faster acceleration.
- The exterior of the Skyline GTS4 is where visually you can see differences between the two models. The Skyline GTR has a different front bumper, grill, lights, aluminum hood and wider rear fenders as compared with the Skyline GTS4’s narrower width and metal panels. Additionally, the R32 Skyline GTR only came as a coupe, while R32 Skyline GTS4 was sold as a coupe or sedan.
- There are only a few minor interior differences between the Skyline GTS4 and Skyline GTR. An interesting note is the Skyline GTS4’s gauge cluster. The Skyline GTS4 uses the Skyline GTST’s cluster with the oil pressure gauge being replaced by the torque split gauge from the Skyline GTR’s cluster.
And the similarities:
- The Skyline GTS4 shares the same ATTESA AWD system as the GTR
- Various resources mention the GTS4 using the same suspension as the GTR, but this is debated with specific parts being more like the GTS models
- Minor other things like some electrical and interior elements are shared as well
R32 Nissan Skyline GTR Rear
R32 Nissan Skyline GTS4 Rear (Sedan)
See something wrong or missing? Let us know
If you found this page helpful, consider supporting us by linking to this page or to the R32 Skylines Website
We need your help
Help fellow R32 Skyline owners by contributing your knowledge, photos, or docs. We welcome any edits or additions.